| Note: The applets/technology tool lists for student and classroom that were located at the bottom of this page are now removed; look for the applets at geogebra.org under "Materials" and the user "EDC in Maine". If you are an EDC project participant/teacher and need help logging in to your project site, e-mail Peter (email@example.com) and include your name, project, school, role, and contact information.
About Education Development Center Work in MaineOur work focuses on promoting student learning, improving teaching practices, and providing capacity-building solutions through the use of innovative educational practices and technologies. EDC provides:
A careful balance between research and practice drives all our work. We conduct and utilize applied research in the areas of educational content, instruction, and technology, and how these work together to improve student learning. Our work supports local capacity building, promotes research-based practices, builds learning communities, applies technology to enhance teaching and learning, and meets the needs of diverse learners.
- Professional development for K-16 educators and administrators with a primary focus on mathematics pedagogy and technology integration
- Innovative curriculum materials and professional development resources
- Research into effective and innovative educational practices
- Technical assistance in learning and teaching strategies
- Support to districts to help develop policies and programs
Supporting and improving teacher practice is a cornerstone of Education Development Center work in Maine. Through our work with teachers, school and district leaders, and state policy makers, we recognize that a "one size fits all" model of professional development rarely effectively addresses the unique needs of participants. As a result, we offer a wide range of customized professional development programs for educators.
A number of our projects use online technologies to help teachers and administrators grow professionally.
By creating innovative online and face-to-face professional development programs for educators, we seek to achieve the following objectives:
Click on the links to the left for more information on individual projects.
- Allow all schools, especially those in underserved communities, to use technology effectively to improve student learning
- Increase teacher pedagogical content knowledge/improve instructional practice
- Enable school leaders to lead systemic educational improvement efforts
- Support teacher induction and retention
- Enhance pre-service and in-service professional development programs
About Education Development Center
Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) is an international, nonprofit organization that conducts and applies research to advance learning and promote health. EDC currently manages 350 projects in 35 countries. Our award-winning programs and products, developed in collaboration with partners around the globe, address nearly every critical need in society, including early child development, K-12 education, health promotion, workforce preparation, community development, learning technologies, basic and adult education, institutional reform, medical ethics, and social justice. For more information visit www.edc.org.