About Education Development Center Work in Maine
Our work focuses on promoting student learning, improving teaching practices, and providing capacity-building solutions through the use of innovative educational practices and technologies. EDC provides:
- Professional development for K-16 educators and administrators with a primary focus on mathematics pedagogy and technology integration
- Innovative curriculum materials and professional development resources
- Research into effective and innovative educational practices
- Technical assistance in learning and teaching strategies
- Support to districts to help develop policies and programs
A careful balance between research and practice drives all our work. We conduct and utilize applied research in the areas of educational content, instruction, and technology, and how these work together to improve student learning. Our work supports local capacity building, promotes research-based practices, builds learning communities, applies technology to enhance teaching and learning, and meets the needs of diverse learners.
Supporting and improving teacher practice is a cornerstone of Education Development Center work in Maine. Through our work with teachers, school and district leaders, and state policy makers, we recognize that a "one size fits all" model of professional development rarely effectively addresses the unique needs of participants. As a result, we offer a wide range of customized professional development programs for educators. A number of our projects use online technologies to help teachers and administrators grow professionally.
By creating innovative online and face-to-face professional development programs for educators, we seek to achieve the following objectives:
- Allow all schools, especially those in underserved communities, to use technology effectively to improve student learning
- Increase teacher pedagogical content knowledge/improve instructional practice
- Enable school leaders to lead systemic educational improvement efforts
- Support teacher induction and retention
- Enhance pre-service and in-service professional development programs
Click on the links to the left for more information on individual projects.
About Education Development Center
EDC is dedicated to improving education, health, and economic opportunities for people of all ages. We create and implement innovative programs that take the results of rigorous research and put it into real-world practice at scale. EDC has about 1,200 employees and manages 250 projects, with work in all U.S. states and in 22 countries. With expertise in areas such as suicide prevention, early childhood development and learning, and youth workforce development, we collaborate with public and private partners to create, deliver, and evaluate programs, services, and products. Our programs provide individuals, families, and communities with the knowledge, skills, and support they need to achieve a better future. For more information visit www.edc.org.
Free Learning Tools for Mathematics
Note: The applets/technology tools and lists that were located at the bottom of this page are now removed; look for the applets at geogebra.org under "Materials" and the user "EDC in Maine". If you cannot find one or more applets, please e-mail Peter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include your name, school/district, role, and information about the applet(s) you are trying to find.